Monday, September 19, 2011

ACQUIRED: 1981 SR250

I'm excited to announce that we made an addition to the garage this weekend. Friday evening we picked up what will be the new upcoming project: a 1981 Yamaha SR250. 

Over the past few months I have been heavily influencing (unless her parents ask) my girlfriend Kara to pick up a bike of her own. This way we'll be able to go on trips together without losing feeling in my wrists.



You'll notice there's a new tab at the top for this build. Click on that at any time to get caught up with Project SR and anything related that you might have missed.

Planning for the build has already started, and we're aiming to have her completed over the winter months. I not only have a day job, but will be taking fabrication classes this semester, so time will be crunched. Luckily I can now merge "GF hang out time" with "Garage time."

Two birds.

6 comments:

  1. Hey man, very excited to see how this bike blooms... keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Dave. Found you through BikeEXIF. Took interest in your great work on the CX500, and noticed this SR 250 build. I've skipped down to the beginning here, not letting myself linger on the more recent updates, as I've got an '81 SR 250 in my garage that I've been wanting to work on for a year. Excited to see how yours turns out! I've got the T model, which has the option of fitting the pillion seat in place of the rear pannier. I'm going to relish this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to see that this bike is for your girl. My wife just graduated (college... I'm not that creepy) and she got a CM185 as a grad present. We are sketching out ideas as well and I'm very happy to have a girl as bad ass as her who wants to get her nails dirty. I'm looking forward to you getting this thing running. It looks awesome so far.

    I am especially feeling the mounts you did for the front fender. Never thought I would see bent flat stock look so appealing. Did you shape the sheet also?

    ReplyDelete